It was a terrific trip and we are most grateful for the careful attention you gave all our requests.
Back now and still recovering from our amazing journey. It was a fantastic trip.
A TALE OF TWO CITIES: MANDALAY TO BAGAN
See the two beautiful cities of Mandalay and Bagan; and learn about the craftsmanship for which they are famed. Travel by bicycle, boat and on foot to visit villages, pagodas, monasteries and cave temple complexes; meeting locals and trying delicacies on the way.
Go on a guided bike ride through Mandalay’s outskirts for a chance to see a different side of the city. Pass small villages, monasteries and temples. Enjoy curry with the locals at a popular shop. Get fabulous views of the city from Mandalay Hill and listen to the monks’ evening chanting at a nearby monastery. Go to Monywa and look around its sights, including the tallest Buddha image in the world. Drive out to the cave temple complex of Po Win Taung, whose 947 sandstone caves contain the richest collection of Buddhist statues and mural paintings in Southeast Asia.
Drive on to a small rural village and chat to locals. Go to the famous ‘slipper’ village of Pakkoku and witness the time, effort and craftsmanship which goes into making the country’s finest leather sandals. Explore beautiful Bagan. Start the day with a trip to the busy market of Nyaung Oo and see local life as residents do their shopping. Continue to nearby villages to see how local delicacies are made. See more craftsmanship with a visit to workshops producing wood carvings and lacquer ware. You’ll also see how traditional bullock carts are made by local cartwrights.
- Share the road with oxcarts and school kids on a bike ride through Mandalay’s outskirts.
- Chat to locals at a small rural village and learn more about life in the Myanmar countryside.
- See the effort and craftsmanship which goes into making the country’s finest leather sandals.
- Visit a busy market as residents do their morning shopping.
Price (USD $ ) per person based on a double/twin sharing basis.
|01 Jan 2014 - 30 Sep 2014||From USD$803 per person|
Additional peak season surcharges, compulsory dinners and special conditions may be applied during peak periods.
All of our itineraries can be tailored to your requirements, allowing us to create the perfect holiday just for you. Contact us with your holiday ideas, no matter how big or small, and we’ll start planning your unique personalized trip!
Tour prices are a guideline only, and are based on two persons travelling together, sharing a double or twin room in three-star accommodation. Each tour price and can be adjusted depending on budget, activities included and standard of accommodation desired.
Tour and airfare prices include all applicable taxes and are subject to change without prior notice until services are booked.
You, your holiday and booking direct: Backyard Travel are on the ground year-round in Asia, which means you are booking direct with a local travel company, allowing you to save on the cost of your holiday. Our tailor-made tours are designed by local Travel Specialists who investigate every aspect of the trip themselves, giving you a unique view of each destination.
Included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary
- Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles
- Service of English speaking guides in every location
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
Not included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Domestic & international flights
- Departure taxes if applicable
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal travel insurance
- Visa fees (contact us for further information)
Lush foliage, airy interiors and the smooth rhythms of the nearby Irrawaddy River are the staples of Bagan Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary Resort. The resort is spread out over 24 acres of private property ...