Our guides were excellent and met our needs with care. Thank you for all of your help.
Backyard Travel was the best - professional, inovative, flexible, informative and fun!
Popular China Collections
IN SEARCH OF SHANGRI-LA
In 1933, British author James Hilton wrote about a mystical earthly paradise in the mountains of Tibet that he dubbed ‘Shangri-La’ in his novel Lost Horizon. The utopia he depicted told of a mythical land isolated from the outside world – a ‘Garden of Eden’ where people enjoyed lengthened lives far beyond the normal lifespan. Although his musings were fictional, much was inspired by his readings of National Geographic accounts about several regions around the Himalayas.
One such place is Zhongdian, which has now formally renamed itself Shangri-La County to reflect its accurate likeness of the utopia Hilton described.
Our four-day, three-night ‘In Search of Shangri-La’ tour provides a glimpse at some of the most picturesque landscapes and terrains of Southwest China and includes visits to: Tiger Leaping Gorge, one of the deepest gorges in the world; Baishuitai, a collection of stunning limestone pools; Nixi, a small pottery town nestling on the mountain side; as well as spending time at Songzanlin Monastery and the Mingyong Glacier.
- Enjoy a picnic breakfast while taking in a sublime sunrise over the Meili Xue Shan mountain range at Feilasi Temple
- Learn the ancient art of thangka at a school in Zhongdian
- Visit the Songzanlin Monastery and observe the daily life of the 600 monks who live around Lamuyancuo Lake
- Take a tour of Pudaocuo National Park, a large natural area that contains over 100 endangered animal species, including the Red Panda and Asiatic Black Bear
- Try the Tibetan specialty tsampa, a mixture of yak’s butter, tea and flour in the small mountainside village Nixi
- Take part in the daily dance ritual in the Zhongdian’s main square
Price (USD $ ) per person based on a twin - double sharing basis.
|Valid until 31 Dec 2015||From USD$815 per person|
All of our itineraries can be tailored to your requirements, allowing us to create the perfect holiday just for you. Contact us with your holiday ideas, no matter how big or small, and we'll start planning your unique personalized trip!
Tour prices are a guideline only, and are based on two persons travelling together, sharing a twin-double room in three-star accommodation. Each tour price and can be adjusted depending on budget, activities included and standard of accommodation desired.
Tour and airfare prices include all applicable taxes and are subject to change without prior notice until services are booked.
You, your holiday and booking direct: Backyard Travel are on the ground year-round in Asia, which means you are booking direct with a local travel company, allowing you to save on the cost of your holiday. Our tailor-made tours are designed by local Travel Specialists who investigate every aspect of the trip themselves, giving you a unique view of each destination.
Included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary
- Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles
- Service of English speaking guides in every location
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
Not included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Domestic & international flights
- Departure taxes if applicable
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal travel insurance
- Visa fees (contact us for further information)