It was a terrific trip and we are most grateful for the careful attention you gave all our requests.
Backyard Travel was the best - professional, inovative, flexible, informative and fun!
Popular China Collections
FORTRESSES, MODERN HISTORY & THE HAKKA
This concise and educational ‘Fortresses, Modern History & The Hakka’ tour takes you to discover some of the rich history of China. Along the way of this cultural adventure, you’ll learn the fascinating tale of the migration of the Han people to Yongding, and subsequent construction of their incredible walled Hakka fortresses, also known as tulou.
The fortresses are vast, unique, self-contained villages built with high walls and strong defenses, often integrating on-site wells, food storage areas, temples and schools within the construction. Many are now listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and this unique tour actually grants you the opportunity to not only visit several tolou, but also to spend the night in one of these incredible fortresses.
The three-day, two-night tour also takes you to visit Gulangyu, a quaint, peaceful island off the coast of Xiamen in the Fujian Province in Eastern China, which was home to European and Japanese merchants, and subsequently contains some fascinating and unique Art Deco and baroque-style architecture.
Experiencing the pedestrianized island of Gulangyu and the tulou of Yongding will enrich your knowledge of this fascinating region of China while offering you respite from the action-packed, bustling areas of this exciting, busy nation.
- Experience the real life of the Han people by spending the night in a tulou, a self-contained compound similar to a fortress
- Learn the fascinating history of the Han people and the former colonies that called Gulangyu Island home
- Discover the art of penjing at the Shuzhuang Garden
- Take time to meander the pedestrianized alleyways of Gulangyu and take a closer look at the fascinating blend of colonial architecture, or spend time on one of the island’s quaint beaches
- Visit the Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which features a constellation of five tulou, built in close proximity
Price (USD $ ) per person based on a half- twin sharing basis.
|Valid until 31 Aug 2014||From USD$669 per person|
|01 Sep 2014 - 31 Dec 2014||From USD$731 per person|
All of our itineraries can be tailored to your requirements, allowing us to create the perfect holiday just for you. Contact us with your holiday ideas, no matter how big or small, and we'll start planning your unique personalized trip!
Tour prices are a guideline only, and are based on two persons travelling together, sharing a half-twin room in three-star accommodation. Each tour price and can be adjusted depending on budget, activities included and standard of accommodation desired.
Tour and airfare prices include all applicable taxes and are subject to change without prior notice until services are booked.
You, your holiday and booking direct: Backyard Travel are on the ground year-round in Asia, which means you are booking direct with a local travel company, allowing you to save on the cost of your holiday. Our tailor-made tours are designed by local Travel Specialists who investigate every aspect of the trip themselves, giving you a unique view of each destination.
Included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary
- Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles
- Service of English speaking guides in every location
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
Not included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Domestic & international flights
- Departure taxes if applicable
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal travel insurance
- Visa fees (contact us for further information)