We had a great trip. Thank you so much for all the preparation work to get the itinerary just right.
Thank you so much for organizing our trip to Burma. It really was the trip of a lifetime
IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF MARGUERITE DURAS
This tour transports you back to a bygone era to follow the footsteps of one of France’s most celebrated writers, Marguerite Duras. Born and raised in Vietnam to French parents, Duras’ most acclaimed work ‘L’Amant’ is set in old Saigon and the laid-back town of Sa Dec, where she lived until the age of 17. While in Sa Dec you’ll also have the chance to visit the home of her former lover, who was the inspiration for her novel.
Although much has changed, Saigon, now known as Ho Chi Minh City, still retains plentiful elements of the old-world charm that Duras depicts in her autobiographical novel which tells the tale of her love affair with a wealthy Chinese merchant’s son.
Throughout the five-day, four-night tour you’ll have the chance to visit some of the places Duras makes reference to in her book, as well as seeing some of the historical buildings and places that molded Duras’ early life.
As well as iconic attractions such as the Opera House, Continental Hotel, City Hall, the Post Office, Notre Dame Basilica, you’ll also visit Reunification Palace, the capture of which marked the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. You will visit Le Quy Don High School, where Duras studied, and the house on Testard Street where she and her family lived.
After exploring Ho Chi Minh City you’ll travel by boat to Sa Dec, along the way stopping at Cai Be and Vinh Long allowing you to soak up and more accurately understand Duras’ world.
- Climb aboard ‘L’Amant’, a boat named after Duras’ novel, which will take you through the Mekong Delta to Sa Dec, Cai Be and Vinh Long
- See significant lesser-known sites of Duras’ formative years, including two of her former houses, the school she attended and the former house of her lover as described in her novel
- Take a cooking demonstration aboard ‘L’Amant’ and learn how to prepare some of Vietnam’s traditional dishes
- Visit one of Vinh Long’s famous orchards and try some mouth-watering tropical fruit fresh from the vines
Price (USD $)per person based on a double/twin sharing basis.
|Valid untill 28 Feb 14||From USD$796 per person|
|01 Mar 2014 - 30 Apr 2014||From USD$937per person|
|01 May 2014 - 30 Sep 2014||From USD$795per person|
Additional peak season surcharges, compulsory dinners and special conditions may be applied during peak periods.
All of our itineraries can be tailored to your requirements, allowing us to create the perfect holiday just for you. Contact us with your holiday ideas, no matter how big or small, and we'll start planning your unique personalized trip!
Tour prices are a guideline only, and are based on two persons travelling together, sharing a double or twin room in three-star accommodation. Each tour price and can be adjusted depending on budget, activities included and standard of accommodation desired.
Tour and airfare prices include all applicable taxes and are subject to change without prior notice until services are booked.
You, your holiday and booking direct: Backyard Travel are on the ground year-round in Asia, which means you are booking direct with a local travel company, allowing you to save on the cost of your holiday. Our tailor-made tours are designed by local Travel Specialists who investigate every aspect of the trip themselves, giving you a unique view of each destination.
Included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary
- Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles
- Service of English speaking guides in every location
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
Not included in this Backyard Travel tour:
- Domestic & international flights
- Departure taxes if applicable
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal travel insurance
- Visa fees (contact us for further information)